Little corals in the Big Smoke!


Coral Specimens
Originally uploaded by MadeleineS.

I've just sent this little lot off to be part of the UK Crochet Coral Reef project. The corals left in their padded envelope this morning, destined to meet vast numbers of their relatives in the Hayward Gallery at the Southbank Centre in London. (on show June, July and some of August)

It's part of a huge mass participation art work instigated by the Institute for Figuring, of which I recently became a member. The coral reef project developed from exploring froms from hyperbolic geometry, using crochet to make models. It's now a world-wide ever growing art work with a mission to inspire interest in both coral conservation and natural maths. I'm proud to be a tiny part of it.

I'll be off to London myself for the associated symposium, The art and craft of saving the world on 13 June. I hope I'll be able to spot my little friends in the reef.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Needled whirls and waves in sea of kid mohair and silk

High Jinks and Hidden Gems

How to get your hands on Knot Unknot stuff this Christmas season!