past and future stuff going on!


Water bowl
Originally uploaded by MadeleineS.

A quick post to prove this blog is not dead! Actually not having time to post is probably a good sign in some ways. I've been really busy with all sorts of stuff - art, work and social. Some of those categories are beginning to overlap!

Botanica Mathematica has really dominated most of what I've been doing over the summer. The project has really changed since Julia and I started it in January. I originally envisaged it being a studio project with me working in the studio on sculptural ideas, kept mathmatically rigourous by Julia'a watchful eye. It quickly developed an outreach aspect which has largely taken over the project. Because of that I've spent a lot less time on my own work and a lot more time on events and admin. This is not a bad thing at all:the project is alive and growing. It's getiting noticed in all sorts of places. I've met some lovely people and renewed some friendships through it. If you haven't already, then have a look at it's web pages at www.botanicamathematica.wordpress.com and join in.

In between knitting trees for Botanica Mathematica I did find time to celebrate Felt United day in my own little way. The theme for 5 October was water and I made the vessel above with that in mind. Working with this colour scheme in an organic style is likely to continue but I'm really not sure when, because...

In August I was a student on a wonderful masterclass where we learned some very technical styles of feltmaking. I need time to revise what we did and plan some pieces of my own. I reckon this might stand a chance of happening around the turn of the year, if I'm lucky.

More definite and more imminent are
Coburg House Open Studios 7&8 December,
the Transreal Fiction Mathematical Knitting Christmas Tree 9-31 December
a talk about Botanica Mathematica at the International Centre for Mathematical Sciences on 10 December
and a stall at the Arts Market on 14 December.
I'll post more details of these in November - promise!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Needled whirls and waves in sea of kid mohair and silk

High Jinks and Hidden Gems

How to get your hands on Knot Unknot stuff this Christmas season!