What I did on my holidays

At primary school each year after the summer break we were often asked to write a "composition" called "What I did on my holidays". I could never remember and it would have been pretty dull anyway. Now I'm all grown up I hope things will be different.

I decided to keep a holiday diary of sorts. Turned out to be harder work than I thought. My handwriting has never flowed with ease and I was completely drained by the bad hotel experience in London (see Hotel Blues post below). I did catch up with diary stuff on the train to Brussels and after that it was easier. That deals with the remembering bit, though York and London are a little sketchy, but I guess it will be interesting only if you like the same stuff we do (off-beat art & architecture, strange music, old buildings and science fiction). I've broken up the posting so it's in the order it might have turned out if I'd posted while we were away. York in this post, London next time and then Brussels. Pop back later in the week to see what comes next.

York
Got to York mid-evening on the Friday. Looked like we'd arrived in hen and stag party land - we try to avoid this in Edinburgh at the weekends - but the hotel was everything you'd expect from a mid-range chain. A decent breakfast on Saturday morning and we were off for a day of sightseeing.

Mike thought a cruise down the Ouze to the Bishop's Palace would be nice morning activity but the company weren't running it that day. We took the shorter trip instead. We saw lots of geese and goslings and the Minster in the distance and poplar trees and old bridges. I liked their newest bridge though.

Bicycle wheel bridge

Turns out York has a "Millenium Wheel" too - not a boat lift or a ferris wheel but a footbridge that's designed to look like a bicycle wheel.

The city was pretty busy it being Saturday afternoon but in among the mixture of quaint old streets and chain stores we found a pub, Lendel Cellars, for lunch and had a quiet pint of local ale that I forget the name of. There was a great poster for their new range of food that got me thinking about the nature of photographic art! (musings on that topic another day)

We did the usual looking a old buildings and eating ice cream in the afternoon. See more of my photos of York on Flickr for a visual version of our day. We got the train to London early in the evening and the Hotel Blues post runs on from here. Good bits of our London visit next time!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Needled whirls and waves in sea of kid mohair and silk

High Jinks and Hidden Gems

How to get your hands on Knot Unknot stuff this Christmas season!