Skip to main content

Alien Surfaces


Alien Surfaces 1
Originally uploaded by MadeleineS.

Hurrah! the show is open daily for the month of August!

I'm completely puggled as my grandmother used to say - i.e. worn out. As well as setting up the exhibition, I've now up dated my website with the images and have created a print on demand account at Imagekind where you can buy copies of the purely digital work. You can read more about the background to the exhibition on both sites but nothing beats a visit to the show in real life.

Come along to Transreal Fiction, 7 Cowgatehead, by the Grassmarket, Edinburgh and see the knitted model of the planet in Christopher Priest's Inverted World. I'm really grateful to Mike at Transreal for accommodating this piece as it's much bigger than orignially planned and has had to go in the window. Many thanks also to Hugh Griffiths of Geeks with Pointy Sticks for his help in writing the pattern at the beginning of this project and to Fawns Reid at Fabhatrix for supplying the wire to help it stand up yesterday!

Comments

  1. I assume you have seen the Home of Mathematical Knitting, then-- but in case you haven't:
    http://tiny.cc/Gq86E

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks emano. I have been a fan of Sarah-Marie Belcastro's work since I worked on the Maths Year 2000 Scotland team. she's pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The giving season!

[update: One scarf sold this season so I decided to pay it forward and made a donation of £95 instead of £9.50.  The scarves will go on sale again later in the year and if I sell more than ten I'll donate again.]

Yes it's that time again! The time when we arts and crafts folk hope you'll give creative handmade things to your nearest and dearest. I'll be giving back too -  fifteen percent of the sales of my Waterfall Scarves at Open Studios or the Arts Market will be donated to Medecins Sans Frontiers (Doctors Without Borders) who do life-saving voluntary work providing healthcare in conflict zones, at natural disasters and fighting epidemics around the world.

Hand-dyed yarns make these scarves are unique.  There are lots more colours in the collection than you see in this photo. They come in two sizes - long and narrow or shorter and wider. The fibre content is varied too - some are  traditional wool/nylon sock yarn, some are pure Merino wool and some are a mixture of…

Live nerdy knitting!

A quick blog post to let you know that I have a spot at Event Horizon 12. It's Edinburgh's monthly science fiction night and there's music and readings too. The theme of the evening is Star Trek is 50 and I guess I've been a fan for almost as long so expect some trek knits in the slide show at least.  Mostly I'll be talking about  my current projects, Botanica Mathematica and hacked knitting machines.You find  Event  Horizon in the Blind Poet pub on West Nicolson Street, Edinburgh,  starting at 19.30 approximately, on Monday 3 October. Come in and geek out -or you'll forever be a Herbert!

New Year To-Do List - Old Stuff, New Ideas!

Happy new year from Knot Unknot. I'm not one for seasonal resolutions but I've heard that setting targets is helpful. I think it's more giving hostages to fortune but I shouldn't knock it until I've tried it. To that end, I'm listing a bunch of studio-related stuff I want to get done soon. There's a lot more on the personal to-do list but, well, it's personal!
Exhibitions for Botanica Mathematica
Last autumn Jo and I sorted out all 75 trees in the Botanica Mathematica specimen collection and created taxonomy with species names.  This means the project is finally ready to exhibit so I'm making enquiries with likely hosts this month.  The main things I need for this are time and old-fashioned display cases.Learn to use new equipment
Towards the end of last year I bought some second-hand kit (a ribber for the hacked knitting machine and a linker) and a new overlocker sewing machine.  They all need a bit of setting up and some practice but once they'r…